This page is to disseminate information regarding the activities of the Custodian of the Uniform Work for the Fifth Masonic District of the Grand Lodge of Free & Accepted Masons of the State of Georgia.
Master Masons from all recognized jurisdictions are welcome at all functions.
Fifth District Custodial Staff
David Herman is the Custodian. David is a Past Master of Chamblee (now Chamblee-Sardis) Lodge No. 444, and a member of Gate City Lodge No. 2. David is also a past District Deputy and a past Masonic Education and Leadership Development Director.
Randy Hazan is the Assistant Custodian. Randy is a Past Master of Fulton Lodge No. 216. Randy is also a past Masonic Education and Leadership Development Director.
Gergory Foster is Custodian Emeritus, having served 18 years as Custodian. Greg is a Past Master of East Point Lodge No. 288, and a member of College Park Lodge No. 454. Greg is also a Masonic Education and Leadership Development Director, a past District Master, and a past District Deputy.
Fifth District School of Instruction
2020 Schools Completed.
- Sun, 01 Nov, 9am, Chamblee-Sardis 444
- Tue, 03 Nov, 7pm, Gate City 2
- Thu, 05 Nov, 7pm, Chamblee-Sardis 444
- Sun, 08 Nov, 9am, Chamblee-Sardis 444
- Sun, 15 Nov, 9am, Chamblee-Sardis 444
- Sun, 22 Nov, 9am, Chamblee-Sardis 444
Subject to change.
Board of Custodians Schedule
The Board of Custodians meets quarterly to discuss, practice, demonstrate, and answer questions about the Uniform Work. Our 2020 schedule is:
- At 9am on Saturday, 21 March, at Riverside Masonic Temple, Macon. CANCELLED
- At 9am on Saturday, 20 June, at Riverside Masonic Temple, Macon. CANCELLED
- At 9am on Saturday, 01 August, Riverside Masonic Temple, Macon. CANCELLED
- At 9am on Monday, 26 October, location TBD (probably at Al Sihah Temple, Macon).
- At Grand Lodge on Tuesday (Wednesday if needed) to be tellers (to collect paper ballots) as needed, with a short meeting Tuesday immediately after Grand Lodge.
Master Masons are welcome to attend Custodian meetings, with or without questions.
In accordance with GL Code 2-213 and 61-106:
- A White Card is issued by the Custodian at the request of a Lodge’s Director of Work (or Secretary) for proficiency in the questions and answers of the catechism for the three degrees.
- A Blue Card is issued by the Custodian at the request of a Lodge’s Director of Work (or Secretary) for proficiency in ALL aspects of the ritual, including White Card requirements.
- A Green Card is issued (one per lodge) by the Custodian to the Director of Work appointed by the Worshipful Master.
- An Orange Card is issued by the Custodian, at his discretion, to those individuals who have demonstrated both ritual proficiency and a willingness to help instruct others.
- A Purple Card is a Masonic Legend, and does not exist in this jurisdiction. As far as you know. The same goes for Red Cards.
Follow the facebook page for 5th District Ritual Instruction announcements: https://www.facebook.com/AtlantaCustodian
Here are some Georgia Masonic resources that I've put together and/or found useful.
Map of Districts
Since the Map of Districts (which I've found very useful over the years) has mysteriously disappeared from the Grand Lodge website, here's a link to a small cached version I found: http://morelight.org/sekret/ga_dist_map.png
Candidate Care Checklist
A tool to help mentor the candidates' advancement and development.
Degree Planning Checklist
A tool to help the Director of Work plan the various roles during degrees.
New Mason Development
I personally recommend the following schedule for new Masons in their first year after being raised - before taking an office or joining an appendant body!
|1st Quarter||2nd Quarter||3rd Quarter||4th Quarter|
|Learn your Catechism!||Earn your White Card!
Masonic Etiquette Course
Masonic Symbolism Course
Visit another Lodge
|Start your Blue Card!
Rules of Order Course
Masonic History Course
Masonic Mentoring Course
Visit another Lodge
|Complete your Blue Card!|
Masonic Code Course
Masonic Manual Course
Masonic Investigations Course
Visit another Lodge
From February, 2007 to January 2010, I produced a pdf newsletter for the Metro Atlanta area, called Work & Lectures. By July of 2007, each issue had an overall theme. While the "news" aspects have long expired, these issues can still be a good source of information for lodge education programs and personal education. They are all listed here at the old site, but those links are now bad - the actual files are listed at http://morelight.org/old/forums/pdfs/