This page is to disseminate information regarding the activities of the Custodian of the Uniform Work for the Fifth Masonic District of the Grand Lodge of Free & Accepted Masons of the State of Georgia.
Master Masons from all recognized jurisdictions are welcome at all functions.
Fifth District Custodial Staff
David Herman is the Custodian. David is a Past Master of Chamblee (now Chamblee-Sardis) Lodge No. 444, and a member of Gate City Lodge No. 2. David is also a past District Deputy and a past Masonic Education and Leadership Development Director.
Randy Hazan is the Assistant Custodian. Randy is a Past Master of Fulton Lodge No. 216. Randy is also a past Masonic Education and Leadership Development Director.
Gergory Foster is Custodian Emeritus, having served 18 years as Custodian. Greg is a Past Master of East Point Lodge No. 288, and a member of College Park Lodge No. 454. Greg is also a Masonic Education and Leadership Development Director, a past District Master, and a past District Deputy.
Fifth District School of Instruction
- School of Instruction of the North: Saturday, 20 February at Roswell 165; 8a breakfast, 9a start
- School of Instruction of the South (pending - typically Friday evenings)
- School of Instruction of the Center (pending - probably Wednesday evenings in March at the Atlanta Masonic Center)
Monthly Coaching & Practice Schedule
- Tue, 02 Feb, 7pm, Gate City 2
- Thu, 04 Jan, 7pm, Chamblee-Sardis 444
- Sun, 07 Jan, 9am, Chamblee-Sardis 444
- Sun, 14 Jan, 9am, Chamblee-Sardis 444
- Sun, 21 Jan, 9am, Chamblee-Sardis 444
- Sun, 28 Jan, 9am, Chamblee-Sardis 444
Subject to change.
Board of Custodians Schedule
The Board of Custodians meets quarterly to discuss, practice, demonstrate, and answer questions about the Uniform Work. Our 2020 schedule is:
- At 9am on Saturday, 20 March, at Riverside Masonic Temple, Macon.
- At 9am on Saturday, 19 June, at Riverside Masonic Temple, Macon.
- At 9am on Saturday, 07 August, Riverside Masonic Temple, Macon.
- At 9am on Monday, 25 October, location TBD (probably at Al Sihah Temple, Macon).
- At Grand Lodge on Tuesday (Wednesday if needed) to be tellers (to collect paper ballots) as needed, with a short meeting Tuesday immediately after Grand Lodge.
Master Masons are welcome to attend Custodian meetings, to observe and questions.
In accordance with GL Code 2-213 and 61-106:
- A White Card is issued by the Custodian at the request of a Lodge’s Director of Work (or Secretary) for proficiency in the questions and answers of the catechism for the three degrees.
- A Blue Card is issued by the Custodian at the request of a Lodge’s Director of Work (or Secretary) for proficiency in ALL aspects of the ritual, including White Card requirements.
- A Green Card is issued (one per lodge) by the Custodian to the Director of Work appointed by the Worshipful Master.
- An Orange Card is issued by the Custodian, at his discretion, to those individuals who have demonstrated both ritual proficiency and a willingness to help instruct others.
- A Purple Card is a Masonic Legend, and does not exist in this jurisdiction. As far as you know. The same goes for the Red Card.
Follow the facebook page for 5th District Ritual Instruction announcements: https://www.facebook.com/AtlantaCustodian
Here are some Georgia Masonic resources that I've put together and/or found useful.
Map of Districts
Since the Map of Districts (which I've found very useful over the years) has mysteriously disappeared from the Grand Lodge website, here's a link to a small cached version I found: http://morelight.org/sekret/ga_dist_map.png
Candidate Care Checklist
A tool to help mentor the candidates' advancement and development.
Degree Planning Checklist
A tool to help the Director of Work plan the various roles during degrees.
New Mason Development
I personally recommend the following schedule for new Masons in their first year after being raised - before taking an office or joining an appendant body!
|1st Quarter||2nd Quarter||3rd Quarter||4th Quarter|
|Learn your Catechism!||Earn your White Card!
Masonic Etiquette Course
Masonic Symbolism Course
Visit another Lodge
|Start your Blue Card!
Rules of Order Course
Masonic History Course
Masonic Mentoring Course
Visit another Lodge
|Complete your Blue Card!|
Masonic Code Course
Masonic Manual Course
Masonic Investigations Course
Visit another Lodge
From February, 2007 to January 2010, I produced a pdf newsletter for the Metro Atlanta area, called Work & Lectures. By July of 2007, each issue had an overall theme. While the "news" aspects have long expired, these issues can still be a good source of information for lodge education programs and personal education. They are all listed here at the old site, but those links are now bad - the actual files are listed at http://morelight.org/old/forums/pdfs/