This page is to disseminate information regarding the activities of the Custodian of the Uniform Work for the Fifth Masonic District of the Grand Lodge of Free & Accepted Masons of the State of Georgia.
Master Masons from all recognized jurisdictions are welcome at all functions.
Fifth District Custodial Staff
David Herman is the Custodian. David is a Past Master of Chamblee (now Chamblee-Sardis) Lodge No. 444 and a member of Gate City Lodge No. 2. David is also a past District Deputy and a past Masonic Education and Leadership Development Director.
Ray Magill is the Assistant Custodian. Ray is Worshipful Master of Gate City Lodge No. 2.
Gergory Foster is Custodian Emeritus, having served 18 years as Custodian. Greg is a Past Master of East Point Lodge No. 288 and a member of College Park Lodge No. 454. Greg is also a Masonic Education and Leadership Development Director, a past District Master, and a past District Deputy.
Fifth District School of Instruction
- School of Instruction of the North was held on Saturday, 20 February at Roswell 165; 8am breakfast, 9am start
- School of Instruction of the South was held on February 5, 12, 19, and 26 at Palmetto 74, 8pm start
- School of Instruction of the Center (pending - probably at the Atlanta Masonic Center)
Monthly Coaching & Practice Schedule
Brethren, due to personal circumstances, my attendance at practices has been temporarily discontinued. Thank you for your support.
Board of Custodians Schedule
The Board of Custodians meets quarterly to discuss, practice, demonstrate, and answer questions about the Uniform Work. Our 2021 schedule is:
- At 9am on Saturday, 20 March, at Riverside Masonic Temple, Macon. (completed)
- At 9am on Saturday, 19 June, at Riverside Masonic Temple, Macon.
- At 9am on Saturday, 07 August, Riverside Masonic Temple, Macon.
- At 9am on Monday, 25 October, location TBD (probably at Al Sihah Temple, Macon).
- At Grand Lodge on Tuesday (Wednesday if needed) to be tellers (to collect paper ballots) as needed, with a short meeting Tuesday immediately after Grand Lodge.
Master Masons are welcome to attend Custodian meetings, to observe and to ask questions.
In accordance with GL Code 2-213 and 61-106:
- A White Card is issued by the Custodian at the request of a Lodge’s Director of Work (or Secretary) for proficiency in the questions and answers of the catechism for the three degrees.
- A Blue Card is issued by the Custodian at the request of a Lodge’s Director of Work (or Secretary) for proficiency in ALL aspects of the ritual, including White Card requirements.
- A Green Card is issued (one per lodge) by the Custodian to the Director of Work appointed by the Worshipful Master.
- An Orange Card is issued by the Custodian, at his discretion, to those individuals who have demonstrated both ritual proficiency and a willingness to help instruct others.
- A Purple Card is a Masonic Legend, and does not exist in this jurisdiction. The same goes for the Red Card. As far as you know...
Follow the facebook page for 5th District Ritual Instruction announcements: https://www.facebook.com/AtlantaCustodian
Here are some Georgia Masonic resources that I've put together and/or found useful.
Map of Districts
Since the Map of Districts (which I've found very useful over the years) has mysteriously disappeared from the Grand Lodge website, here's a link to a small cached version I found: http://morelight.org/mased/ga_dist_map.png
Candidate Care Checklist
A tool to help mentor the candidates' advancement and development.
Degree Planning Checklist
A tool to help the Director of Work plan the various roles during degrees.
New Mason Development
I personally recommend the following schedule for new Masons in their first year after being raised - before taking an office or joining an appendant body!
|1st Quarter||2nd Quarter||3rd Quarter||4th Quarter|
|Learn your Catechism!||Earn your White Card!
Masonic Etiquette Course
Masonic Symbolism Course
Visit another Lodge
|Start your Blue Card!
Rules of Order Course
Masonic History Course
Masonic Mentoring Course
Visit another Lodge
|Complete your Blue Card!|
Masonic Code Course
Masonic Manual Course
Masonic Investigations Course
Visit another Lodge
Please visit the Education page for more resources!